Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Adoration of the Magi

The National Gallery, on the National Mall in Washington D.C., is filled with painted treasures. On a visit in December 2021, I found myself in the Italian Renaissance section in the West Building. I was drawn to a large circular painting, a tondo format, 36.5 inches in diameter.

In celebration of Christmas, I am sharing this, the "Adoration of the Magi." The painting is thought to have been made between 1440 and 1460, and perhaps be by the hand of two artists, Fra Angelico and Fra Filippo Lippi. For more information about it, see the National Gallery's website. 
Most pertinent to this blog, of course, is the manger. Not a manger cradling the Christ child, but the manger full of hay, which a donkey is enjoying. It is woven in a wicker weave, with multiple warps.


It is a straight and dark material, perhaps willow, which is used in contemporary Italian baskets. In this detail, the angular cuts of the warp ends can be seen.

My limited internet research into Italian Renaissance basketry has thus far been unsuccessful. However, I came across the secular festival of Thests in Polcenigo, Italy. The website features contemporary Italian baskets in multicolored willow, including a dark brown. Add this basketry festival to my list of places to visit.





1 comment: